Fun Things to Do
From Museums & Markets to Sporting Events, There Are Vacation Attractions for Everyone
If you’re looking for vacation attractions or ideas for family vacation spots in the Rocky Mount NC area, let our travel center be your guide. With a wide variety of fun things to do from museums to performing arts center shows and sporting events, our visitor center can help you discover some of the best vacation spots the area has to offer.
Pay Our Travel Center a Visit, or Call Today to Plan the Most Memorable Vacation!
Offering a variety of vacations packages, check out our list of popular vacation attractions below. For help finding an event or attraction in the area, let our visitor center be your resource. Rocky Mount, NC, and the surrounding areas offer a wide range of tourist and vacation attractions from museums, to parks, historical sites, and more! Give Nash County Travel and Tourism a call today or visit our travel center to learn more about all best vacation spots in and around Rocky Mount, NC.
- Spring Hope Museum
- It is housed in one of the most popular houses of the 1920’s, a shotgun house. They showcase antique furniture and memorabilia from the war. Open Sunday only 3-5pm. 400 W. Main St., Spring Hope, NC.
- The Country Doctor Museum
- See medicine as it was practiced over 100 years ago. Learn how doctors made their own medicines and used alcohol for sedating patients. Tour an old doctors office and see all of the tools he used back in his day. These are guided tours. 7089 Peele Rd., Bailey, NC.
- To learn more, visit their site at:
- Historic Stonewall Manor
- Built around 1830 by Bennett Bunn. Stonewall has been restored to its original splendor. Stonewall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Group only, 10 or more people. Call to set up a tour at 252-903-2155. 1331 Stonewall Lane, Rocky Mount, NC.
- Learn more by visiting their website at:
- The Rocky Mount Fire Museum – This is the original Fire Station #2 built in 1924. This amazing museum houses a wooden fire main, photographs of firefighters, the city’s first fire alarm system, and other fascinating memorabilia. 404 S. Church St., Rocky Mount, NC.
- The Rocky Mount Train Station – The train station was constructed in 1893 by the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad. In 1911-1912 the new owner Atlantic Coastline Railroad turned one-story wings into three-story wings. Today, the AMTRAK Station runs daily It is served by four passenger trains. 100 Coastline St., Rocky Mount, NC.
- Twin County Hall of Fame
- Twin County Hall of Fame celebrates the history, culture, people, and accomplishments of Nash and Edgecombe County. It is located in the historic train station in Downtown Rocky Mount, NC.Each Wednesday between 10am – 1pm, you can take in the sultry sounds of Milton Bullock of The Golden Platters, “Live”.100 Coastline St., Rocky Mount, NC.
- Visit their website to learn more:
Creative Artist & Pottery
- Imperial Centre for Arts & Sciences
- A true cultural complex, Creative Artist & Pottery is located in both a newly constructed and rehabilitated tobacco factory built in the late 1800’s.
- The Marie V. Howard Arts Center – It has over 10 galleries and an arts educational center. A permanent collection, rotating professional, historical and children’s exhibits.
- The Children’s Museum & Science Center – The Children’s Museum has rotating and permanent exhibits. A North Carolina Coastal “living marsh”.
- The Cummin’s Planetarium – This planetarium is one of North Carolina’s first full-dome video projection systems. They offer daily shows and scheduled laser shows.
- The Imperial Centre Theatre – Featuring a 300-seat performing arts center, this facility is proud to host both local and traveling productions range from the best of Broadway to nationally known musical and theater performances. Located at 270 Gay St., Rocky Mount, NC, visit their website today!
- Finch’s Nursery & Pottery
- Browse through Dan Finch’s stoneware, porcelain, wood fired, salt glazed & Raku pottery selections. See the enormous kilns that are used for firing pottery. Dan Finch’s work has been featured in the Charlotte Mint Museum, the NC Museum of Handicrafts in Waynesville, NC and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art in New Orleans. 5526 Finch Nursery Lane, Bailey, NC.
- Check out their website to see more.
- BelAir Artisan Center
- Visit and watch as local artists create magic in their own art studio. You will see Giclee paintings, art photography, assemblages, sculptures, pottery, woodwork, working decoys, jewelry gourd vases, bowls, decorated stemware and more. 115 S. Church St., Rocky Mount, NC.
Day on the Farm
Nash Area Farmers Market
Locally grown farm fresh fruits and produce, homemade jams and pickles, fresh flowers. Plus, fresh seafood from the Atlantic Ocean makes the Farmers Market the place to be on Saturday and other days of the week. A brand new facility is a shoppers delight, but good ole’ Southern hospitality still comes with the product sold by the local growers that you’ll get a chance to meet. Come often, and occasionally you may just find some handmade crafts and might hear a local band playing some toe-tapping music. A unique shopping experience for everyone.
April-November – Saturday 8am-1pm / June-August – Saturday & Wednesday 8am-1pm.
1006 Peachtree St., Rocky Mount, NC 252-478-4519 or 252-459-9810.
ROMA’s Clydesdale Farm
A Chance in the Country (Clydesdale Horse Farm)
Visiting a working Clydesdale farm provides fun and insight to Nash County agriculture.
It is named for ROMA’s First Chance of Hope, a Clydesdale born on the farm who conquered a birth defect that left him with a less than 30% chance of survival when he was under a year old. “Chance” inspired everyone with his story as he visited local events and schools. A book about Chance reminds kids that hope starts with a chance to try. Although Chance passed away in 2015, there is a memorial garden in his honor for all to enjoy.
A popular family vacation spot, take a tour the farm, experience the Lead Line Ride, and meet and pet the animals – they have goats, horses, a host of dogs and a special feature, a “Zonkey” (zebra-donkey).
Birthday parties available – minimum of 15 people
Picnic tables *Gift shop *Crafts
252-883-6185 • 252-883-3706 Weekends Only & By Appointment
16153 Red Bud Rd. Castalia, NC.
Happy Hour Breweries – Rocky Mount Mill
- Koi Pond, Ramblers Beer & Wine, TBC – Family friendly, Fun Environment to try out the new Craft Beers or sit on the deck and listen to live music on most weekends and always have good music playing inside. 1151 Falls Rd., Rocky Mount, NC.
- For more information check out the links below:
- www.koipondbrewerycompany.com, www.tarborobrewingcompany.com
Ready to Play the Game
- The Rocky Mount Sports Complex
- The Rocky Mount Sports Complex is a premier tournament facility on the Eastern Seaboard playing host to baseball, softball, and soccer tournaments since 2006. The facility includes: 6 Youth, 4 Softball/Multi-purpose and 1 Championship Baseball Field(s), 8 Regulation sized Soccer Fields, a Football Stadium, and an 18 Hole Disc Golf Course. With access to over 15 fields, the sports complex is located at 600 Independence Dr., Rocky Mount, NC. Phone: 252-467-6483
- learn more about sporting events in the area by visiting the website below:
Performing Arts Theater
- Dunn Center for the Performing Arts – The beautiful Dunn Center for the Performing Arts hosts some of the finest cultural entertainment found in the area. For more information about the Dunn Center please call 252-985-5197. Located 3400 N. Wesleyan Blvd., 301 By-Pass, Rocky Mount, NC, visit the performing arts center website at:
- Nash Arts – Nash Arts was built in 1914 and was the original home to a former Baptist church.Nash Arts showcases local, regional and national artists, professional and upcoming. They also support other art organizations and other art education. There is something always going on for the visitors and locals to attend.Nash Arts hosts regularly art related events and concerts. Check the website for upcoming events www.nasharts.org. Also, there are other services that may be available such as classes, exhibits and camps.The facility is also available for rental events. Call Shelly Gray, Nash Arts Director at 252-459-4734.100 East Washington St., Nashville, NC.
- The Imperial Centre Theatre – This facility is home to one of the state’s finest community theatre groups. Local and traveling productions range from the best of Broadway to nationally known musical and theatrical performances. To learn more please call their box office at: 252-972-1266 or visit them online at
Tee Up For Golf
- Belmont Lake Golf Club – Belmont Lake Golf Club is a public golf course with the 2014 addition of a new clubhouse, cart barn, and an outing pavilion. Belmont Lake Golf Club has become a premier golf club in the Eastern North Carolina Area. It is well equipped to handle all outings and club events. Don’t miss the opportunity to stop in to “The Main Course” restaurant at Belmont Lake for some new and traditional American fare. The Main Course is open to the public serving both members and non-members. Memberships are also available. Call for tee time at 252-973-0800 201 Belmont Club Way, Rocky Mount, NC.
- Benvenue Country Club – Benvenue Country Club is a private club that has been a part of Rocky Mount since 1922 and was originally designed by Donald Ross. The Benvenue Country Club offers golf, tennis, swimming, dining and a large calendar of events to its 400+ families.The club prides itself with its association in the community and its longstanding tradition of service to its members. Whether you are planning a business meeting, golf outing, or social event, Benvenue Country Club is the venue to choose. Call 252-443-2141. 100 Southern Blvd., Rocky Mount, NC.
- Birchwood Country Club – Birchwood is a semi-private golf course. Also, it is home to the 19TH hole, a private restaurant operated by Chef Ryan Spivey, a graduate of our own Nash Community College culinary school. A ballroom is also available for large groups for meetings, weddings, and reunions – any activity that needs a large dining or meeting space. Birchwood offers all food and beverage amenities. During the summer months, Birchwood opens its blue water swimming pool from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Various memberships are available: full memberships, dining club memberships, pool/social memberships. The club’s golf course is open daily. Tee times can be made by calling 459-3910, ext 101. 901 East Birchwood Dr., Nashville, NC.
- Northgreen Country Club – Northgreen is a public golf course and is the former home of the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship.The golf course opened in 1974 and was designed by Bob Toski and is now managed by PGA professional Randy Davis.You can enjoy Casual restaurant dining at “The Sand Trap Grill” located on the golf course. The country club is equipped with a driving range, and its knowledgeable staff is available for lessons. Contact the pro shop at 252-446-7224 to schedule your lesson or set up a tee time. 900 Northgreen Lane, Rocky Mount, NC.
- The Imperial Centre for the Arts & Sciences – Enjoy learning about astronomy hands on. The Imperial Arts Centre’s astronomy program features North Carolina’s first planetarium which includes a full dome video projection system. The Cummins Planetarium offers daily shows and scheduled laser shows.The staff of the planetarium also hosts community “Public Star Parties and Sidewalk Astronomy” in their courtyard or other locations throughout the city on various dates and times during the year. Located at 270 Gay St., Rocky Mount, NC.
- Visit their website for more information:
Fun for Families
- UEC Theaters 14 – While you’re in town, check out the movie theater that plays top movies. Whether it is comedy, drama, horror or family movies, there is something for everyone to enjoy. For more information call 252-446-6500. Do you have a group that you would like to bring? Call and ask for group sales for special discounts or to set up private viewings. 821 Benvenue Rd., Rocky Mount, NC.
- For listings and times check:
- Sky-Vue Skateland – Open on weekends: Fun Filled Friday’s Teen & Tweens – 7-11 pm, Super Saturday’s – 4-6pm, 7-11pm. Visit the snack bar for your choices of delicious food and drinks. Also offers parties for any occasion.For more information or about opening on off-times call 252-442-7418 or visit the website at www.sk8cvs.com. 13734 US 64 Alternative W, Rocky Mount, NC 27801.
- Star City Skate and Play – Star City is one of the best family entertainment facilities in Rocky Mount.At Star City, roller skating is where fun meets fitness. There is also laser tag, a play place and arcade for the non-skaters allowing fun for the entire group. It’s a friendly, healthy and safe activity for the whole family.Star City offers a wide variety of party packages, group and fundraiser options, and a host of other special events to accommodate the needs of your family and community alike.You can also find all of your skating supply needs at our PRO SHOP. From parts to new skates, Star City Skate has just what you are looking for. 1131 N. Wesleyan Blvd., Rocky Mount, NC. Call 252-407-8322 or visit:
- Chuck E. Cheese’s – Kids paradise! Games, great food, drinks and fun for the whole family. Chuck E. Cheese’s remains a locals and visitors favorite to take their children for great entertainment. Parties can also be planned ahead by calling ahead 252-443-5267 or visiting the website. Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11am-9pm, Friday 11am-10pm, Saturday 10am-10 pm. 730 Sutters Creek Blvd., Rocky Mount, NC.
- Fast Track Fun Park – At Fast Track Fun Park the bumper boats splash in the water, go-karts zoom around the track, and kiddie karts tackle sharp turns. This playland gives kids the chance to run and play on fast-paced rides or try their luck on arcade games, making the hours zip by. Open 7 days a week with loads of fun and special party packs for your little one’s special day. 252-443-7433. 2451 N Wesleyan Blvd., Rocky Mount, NC.
- Harrison Family YMCA – The 2-story, 80,000 square foot Rocky Mount Family YMCA facility is located at 1000 Independence Drive. Amenities include an eight-lane competition pool, warm water therapy tank, teen center, after school care center, two racquetball courts, three basketball courts, a gymnastics area, rock climbing wall, indoor track, aerobics center, wellness center with weight machines and free weights; and locker rooms for men, women, boys, girls and families. 1000 Independence Dr., Rocky Mount.
- Call 252-972-9622 or visit their website at:
- Mini Putt Indoor Golf & Games – An 18-hole Indoor Mini Golf Center is the perfect place for Birthday Parties with a separate dining area to host your child’s next function. This funhouse is equipped with video games, redemption games (tickets), air hockey, rides & pool tables. 900 Benvenue Rd., Rocky Mount. Call 252-972-3883.
- Denton Street Swimming Pool – The Denton Street Pool is a handicapped accessible pool that features eight 25-yard competitive lanes, zero-depth entry, spray-ground elements, water slides, diving boards, a covered area equipped with tables and chairs, and state-of-the-art bathhouse, including a family dressing area. 1434 Denton St., Rocky Mount. Call 252-977-6231.
- Over 50 Parks in Nash County – Including Sunset Park – This 25-acre park located off Sunset Avenue on Taylor Street and River Drive beside Tar River is the city’s main park equipped with a spray park and a skate park . It features a mini train, merry-go-round, concession stands, 2 lighted basketball courts, a boat ramp, 4 picnic shelters (with numerous other picnic sites), a little league field, 8 lighted tennis courts, and a tennis backboard. Early Season – Memorial Day weekend – Friday after the last day of Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools, Saturday & Sunday: 1pm until dark Summer season – Saturday after the last day of NRMPS – First day of NRMPS, Monday-Sunday: 1pm until darkLate Season – First day of NRMPS – Labor Day weekend, Saturday & Sunday: 1pm until dark Party Packs are available Monday-Saturday mornings, 9am-1pm. Sprayground hours may be affected by water restrictions. An extension to Sunset Park can be found at 1422 River Drive. This 13.4-acre site is located on River Drive beside the Tar River. It has lowlands and a few unimproved trails. Call 252-972-1151 for information. 1550 River Drive, Rocky Mount, NC.
- The Bowling Center – The Bowling Center is where the good times roll. 24 lanes for your bowling pleasure. The Bowling Center hosts league and group bowling equipped with a game room and a snack bar. Open 7 days a week – Friday and Saturday for unlimited Xtreme Bowling with adorning strobe light effects. 3250 N. Church St., Rocky Mount, NC. Call 252-446-9557 for more information.
Flea Markets/Antique Shops
- Bel Air Artisan’s Center
- 115 S. Church St • 252-442-8115
- Carriage House Curiosity Shop
- 116 SW. Main St • 252-442-0202
- Exit 141 Collectibles
- 3630 Halifax Rd • 252-985-8664
- Huck’s Antiques & Collectibles
- 3950 N Halifax Rd • 252-883-9227
- 1020 Liberty Lane • 252-442-8484
- Purple Petal
- 1100 S. Wesleyan • 252-212-6887
- Shehedah Antiques
- 401 S. Washington St •252-985-3355
- Tar River Flea Market
- 1820 S. Wesleyan Blvd • 252-442-2597 • TarRiverFleaMarket@nullgmail.com
- Rocky Mount Stockyard Flea Market
- 3631 S. Church St • 252-290-1093
- Towel Town
- 248 SW. Main St • 252-446-9383
- Rocky Mount-Wilson Flea Market
- 4700 US Highway 301 N • 252-265-4500
- Valentine-Fuller Antiques
- 225 W. Washington St • 252-459-7770
- Small Town USA (Antiques and concert venue)
- 8928 Main St (on Hwy 58) • 252-462-0408
- Treasures Awaiting
- 4976 Red Oak Rd • 252-314-7721
- Red Oak Flea Market
- Hwy. 43 North • 252-903-7675
- Antique & Art Market
- 106 E. Main St • 252-478-8129
- Epic Designs
- 117 N. Pine St • 252-478-7466
- Wilkinson Art & Antiques
- 116 S. Pine St • 252-478-7722
- Finch Nursery & Pottery, Home for the Bluebirds
- 5526 Finch Nursery Lane • 252-235-4664